Removing Ex Partner From Council Tenancy Agreement

Some safe and flexible rental agreements granted from April 1, 2012 may mean that you can transfer or pass on your rental more than once – check your lease. If you are married or in a life partnership, it is usually best to clarify what is happening to your home in the order of divorce or dissolution. If the parties are not married but have children under the age of 18, the Children Act 1989 may apply for a transfer of lease to a single parent for the benefit of the children. The court will consider: If you have agreed to have one of you plan a stay, it is usually best to explain it to your landlord and ask them to update the lease. Your landlord doesn`t have to agree. If your ex-partner is abusive and refuses to leave the house, you can apply for a court order to help you stay in the house and let your ex-partner go. This is called the occupancy regulations. Seek advice from a lawyer who can help you apply. You can also call the National Domestic Violence Helpline for additional advice.

It is considered a last resort because it can exclude someone from a property where they can legally live. If you live in the property and your ex is gone, he can end the entire lease – including your right to stay there – with a one-month delay without notifying you. Steps can be taken in this regard (see below). If you have a fixed-term contract (for example. B for 6 or 12 months), you must both agree to leave your early rental. If you both agree, either you can: you automatically become a safe or flexible tenant after 12 months, unless your board has one of the two: your lease is a legal document and tells you all the rules about life in your property. As a general rule, it`s not worth going to court to transfer your rental if you have a secure short-build contract – unless your landlord is a housing company. Your lease is a joint lease agreement if you and your partner are listed as tenants in the contract. You do not have the automatic right to stay in the apartment unless a court order is issued. You can ask the court to transfer a lease in your name if it benefits the children. For this, you need legal advice. If you have to leave the property, you can apply for housing from your municipal administration as a homeless family.

And many, many variations about it – “my ex is on the lease, he can get the lease”, “who gets the rental contract from the Council if I separate”.. .

Author: Franck Pertegas

Share This Post On